to begin my journey in creating a sustainable package, i first had to pick a local product to use. i looked at spices and i looked at our homemade yoghurt drink. but in the end i chose my grandmothers special blend of tea.
i chose a metal container as they are least likely to be thrown away. dried food is sometimes thrown away without being used if it went bad so it also has an airlock mechanism which would help preserve dry food for a long time.
i was aiming for a 1940-1960s feel but in the end my design still looks modern. i tried to add some elements that i made by hand to enforce that feeling. the arabic type is done by hand, so was the illustration of the grandmother but as it stuck out too much i had to remake it using illustrator.
my first attempt at putting everything together:
the first thing i noticed after printing was that white type is not working on the “backyard” that i chose, another obvious thing was that the type size is way to big for what should be an A1 poster…
then the professors gave me a few suggestions on where i could put the text and i realized that the pink blanket is a really nice place to put type(with a box)
this was my tiled poster attempt. i wanted to make my type flow with the drapery of the blanket. for the logo i tried to follow what was told to my classmates and aligned it with the crochet hook.
it was pointed out then that the text is not actually with the drapery and that the logo would look better in a higher contrasted place. i also noticed that i ended up putting everything on the bottom of the poster so i wanted to diverge from that.
for my final poster i fixed the “going with the grain” thing and placed my logo in the darkest place on the picture. i also tried to balance it with the yarn ball by placing the rest of the type on the right of it instead of the left. because when i tried it on the left it looked too “tucked in”.
we met up this Saturday to put everything together. however everyone was quite anxious so we ended up worrying a lot of the time. it was unexpected but we were still working on developing the script. especially because a lot of the original word and phrases are to big for how simple we wanted it to be. we also mostly finished the actual space. we just didn’t practice enough by then..
on Sunday we decides to take advantage of the entire day to rehearse our scene. it had reached the point where we kept printing a new edited script every hour it was quite tedious but its amazing how determined everyone was to do their best.
on the day of the presentation we decided to come early to rehearse even more and ass final touches (like the broken cup and the overly organized desk)
even if in the end we messed up a little i am so happy with how we have done. we have worked so hard and accomplished so much in the past three weeks than we ever expected to do in these eight minutes. i am just glad that we had fun with it instead of freaking out and trying to make it bigger than it should be.
to support some of the things we are writing into the script we have researched a few titles such as:
- what drugs cause dizziness
- does antidepressants cause vertigo
- victim profiling (worst thing ever)
- victim profile
- sleeping pills overdose
- antidepressant overdose
- defining characteristics of a person (useless)
- character specific traits (again nothing)
I’m surprised the police haven’t come around yet.
we came up with several routes for the story to take. i think we might go with having the people come into the room and go around the table trying to figure out the clues that lead up to the murder. Amal suggested we use sectioned board where each part leads to a different room. but we still have to finish the story.
this is something we keep doing.. which is forget about the current issue and thing ahead to the production instead of focusing on building a good storyline to follow.. we didn’t even divide who the murderer should be yet and w are stuck between her husband, a student or even that its a suicide that looked like a murder..
i had one idea that i couldn’t shake off for my m&p project. my idea was to create an interesting character. then create a space to represent them. for example: the desk of student. an email representing a familial problem. maybe some books on psychology to represent what the student was studying. so the people entering the space could deduce for themselves the story behind the desk.